Before & After: BABY CRIB

by Leslie on June 26, 2012

When I first started shopping for a crib I had my eye on this little modern beauty, but soon realized spending $2249 is crazy and I should stop looking at sites named “Posh Tots.” We’re putting the baby in a room the size of most people’s closets – his life probably won’t be described as posh. Then, luckily, I fell in love my friend’s adorable Jenny Lind style crib. It’s classic, simple, and on the smaller side. When she told meĀ it was only $160 from Walmart I was sold. Done and done. And then I had to go and complicate things and decide to paint it red. My gut told me I should a) pay someone to do it b) spray paint it or at least c) disassemble the bed before I paint it. I, of course, ignored my gut and did none of those things.

I wanted a matte finish on the crib, so I decided to use Annie Sloan’s chalk paint in the color, Emperor’s Silk. The paint doesn’t require you to sand or prime the furniture beforehand so I was pretty sure this was going to be a snap. Shockingly, I was wrong. The bed ended up needing 3 coats of paint (I should’ve started with the white crib rather than the dark finish) and let me say, painting 3 coats onto spindles with a paint brush is pretty much my hell. After the paint dried, I applied Annie Sloane’s clear wax, which added one more step. The paint itself is really great. It looks amazing. And although I didn’t go this route, it gives you the option to lightly sand the furniture after painting to give the piece an antique finish. Using it on this crib was pretty painful, but I have to admit I’m 100% satisfied with the result. It was worth it. It turned my inexpensive crib into one of my favorite parts of the room. I still need to put up the wallpaper (definitely hiring someone to do it) and make/buy the curtains, but the room is almost done. I’ll share the finished pictures with you soon. For those of you sick of baby-related posts, I’ve got a cocktail recipe coming up tomorrow to make it up to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate Kobiashvili Christner June 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm

The crib is absolutely fantastic! I can’t wait to see the full room.

Leslie June 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Kate! It’s all because of you :)

Vel July 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love the idea of chalk paint! I also adore the vintage crates underneath – what a perfect touch for a perfect make over! Great job!

Leslie July 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Vel!

Lynn W July 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Love the red, but is the paint safe is the baby chews on it? I know when my kids were teething the crib rail was fair game.

Leslie July 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hi Lynn – From my research I found that people say it is safe for kids and cribs. It’s a water based, eco-friendly paint with extremely low VOCs. That said, I’ll still probably put up chew guards when he gets to that age just to be safe!

Lynn W July 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Good to know! Glad you checked it out :-)

Ariel December 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hi,
I love the red crib. I just bought some of the Annie Sloane paint in Emperor’s Silk to do this same thing for my baby’s crib. How would you describe the shade of red when it dries. I put a drop onto some white paper and it dried almost terra cotta.

Thanks!

Leslie December 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi Ariel,
The color in the picture is pretty true to life. It’s a dull red, but definitely more red and darker than a terra cotta. The clear wax you put on at the end will darken it slightly. Good luck with your crib!

Curtis March 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm

How many quarts did you use? How is the crib holding up? What was your purpose for using the clear wax, more protection?

Thanks

Leslie March 14, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hi Curtis. I only used 1 quart on the crib and it’s holding up great! No complaints at all. Yes, the clear wax protects the paint and makes it more durable. It also adds a very subtle sheen.

Jennifer July 7, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Love your crib makeover! Looks fantastic! I am going to paint a crib for a friend. I have the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to use…however I do not have the clear wax from her. The last project I did with chalk paint I used the Minwax finishing paste since I already had it. Any idea if that product is safe for a crib? I don’t want to use something unsafe, I’ve tried looking on their website but am unable to find out the safety of it. Any input would be great!

Leslie July 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Jennifer! I’m sorry, but I don’t know anything about Miniwax. I would suggest skipping the wax step all together to be safe. It really didn’t change the look of the crib that much. I know it makes the paint more durable, but honestly no wax is going to protect against a teething baby anyway. Good luck!

Tracy July 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hey Les! I’m in the midst of the same project. Painting a crib someone gave me and I want to shoot myself!! Any advice on making the spindle painting faster? A special size brush or is it just wishful thinking??? Why do I do these things???

Leslie July 15, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hey Tracy! I feel for you. The spindles took forever! If I ever painted another crib I would spray paint it. I wish I had a trick up my sleeve for you, but I don’t. I’m sorry! Good luck!

Laura July 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

Hi there. I am in the process of painting a crib with ASCP as well, how has your crib “held” up over time? I was torn between waxing it or poly sealing? Did waxing it leave a nice finish after use? Any feedback GREATLY appreciated.

Leslie July 24, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hi Laura! It’s held up great. There are a few spots that he has chewed on, but I don’t think any paint would be able to stand up to a teething baby. I don’t know much about poly sealing, but I did like using the wax. It was a subtle change, but I loved the way it turned out. Good luck!

rosita August 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi leslie! I loved the work you did with the crib, i want to do it for my baby’s crib as well… but i have many questions.. :S

I love the color , so i will be buying the same color… Im painting it with brush, do you think i should put the crib together before painting it?

Do you know if its possible to use the ASCP with a spray machine? i was thinking on doing that too… but i would need to buy more paint… and i don’t know if i would get the same result… or get like a thin transparent layer of paint…

What did you use to put the clear wax??

I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me thank you.

Leslie September 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi Rosita! Thank you! I put the crib together before I painted it, but I think if I did it again, I would not. It was hard to paint the interior of the crib with it together. I have no idea if you can use a spray machine with the paint. Worth a try! Painting those spindles by hand is the worst! I used a rag to put on the clear wax. Good luck!!